This poor, beat-up old flatback double bass (1/2 size) has been hanging around the workshop for too long. It's finally passed muster after a week or so of being strung up and it's now ready to return to its longtime owner. It's had innumerable repairs (some terrible, some borderline, some just fine) in the past and the objective here was to shore it up and get it playing again. The body needed tons of seam and crack repairs which took place slowly over time (I only have so many clamps!) and now it seems ship-shape enough.
The neck, on the other hand, had the usual bad split right at the top of the joint with the usual bad repairs applied to it. At this point most shops would tear that neck right off and graft a new one on (a good idea) but economy was the driver here and so... I did what I could. It should be good for at least a decent number of years but I can't guarantee it for the very long haul. As soon as I pulled that part of the project apart I knew I had to get it all back together but I sure didn't want to: the neck pocket, heel area, and damaged neck portion itself was a rat's nest of ugly old repairs. It's only slightly worse than my own Epiphone's badgered joint (which has held steady for years now) but I'm still a little apprehensive due to the nature of all the old repairs.