4/28/2016

1920s Cerrito-made? Galiano 000 12-Fret Guitar


I worked on this guitar for a customer a while back -- the frets were leveled/dressed and it received a light setup on the quick -- and he brought it back in for a checkup. At the time I didn't grab pictures... but I did this time around.

After working on this one, I later had a chance to do a thorough restoration on a very similar Galiano-brand guitar -- both of which I suspect came from the workshop of Antonio Cerrito. The New York "Italian Guild" luthiers of the early 1900s are becoming something of a thing in the vintage market, these days, as an upscale alternative to fancier Oscar Schmidt-family products (they're clearly related).

As a rule of thumb, these Cerrito-style guitars are lightly-built but sturdy, have long scale lengths, and despite their ladder-braced build are quite full and warm in tone and use high-quality materials. They make delicious fingerpickers and are monstrous sleepers on the vintage market. Erg, now I said it!





A variety of the old repairwork is not mine. As I said: I simply nudged the setup and spruced-up the frets when it came in last.


The saddle slot really ought to be recut at an angle, but the intonation actually is closer than you'd think, thanks to a slightly offset bridge/fret relationship that seems to have been a happy accident.


While the top is solid spruce, the back, sides, and neck are all solid mahogany.









No comments: