3/18/2016

1933 National "Walnut" Triolian Resonator Guitar


This "walnut" sunburst Triolian flew the coop before I could even record a soundclip! I finished this one off in the wee hours of Thursday night and the interested party came in midday today and brought it home. I love the look of a nice, beat-up old steel-body National and this Triolian has the stuff I like to see -- a few dings, lots of honest playwear, and a radiused, rosewood fretboard. It also has a shorter 24 3/4" scale length and a nice, bigger C profile to the back of the neck. Everything is original save the new bone (compensated) saddle and parts-bin vintage tuners.

Work included a neck reset, fret level/dress, adding those aforementioned tuners, cleaning, a new saddle, and general setup with "lights." It plays spot-on (3/32" EA and 1/16" DGBE action at the 12th fret) and has cannonfire tone. It's got guts.



Original bone nut.


The bound, radiused rosewood fretboard also has pearl dots and sported, initially, those old Regal-style "triangular" fret crowns. After the level/dress they're a little more comfortable under the fingers.


I like having 14 frets clear, myself, especially when using a guitar as a "chorder." I like sliding chord shapes for group work.


Who doesn't love seeing pikcwear like that?











Under the hood this has its original cone with "riveted" biscuit. When I did the neck reset I moved the two "islands" under the dowel a bit and added a third one, too. This increases rigidity in the neck/body join.





3225W corresponds to 1933.

No comments: