3/13/2015

1974 Guild F112 000-Size 12-String Guitar




How 'bout that? This one's near-pristine with just a few light scratches on the sides. This is a customer guitar in for repair, and like most small-body Guilds I've dealt with, it didn't need very much. The dual truss rods in the neck means the necks on these are quite stable and the large Guild bridge footprint means the bridge has stayed put. My work was a fret level/dress, saddle shave/adjustment, string ramp additions, and general setup.

After working on a few of these 000-size (15 1/2" lower bout, but tight "mini jumbo" style waist) 12-strings I really grew fond of them and suggested the model to the customer who picked it up and shipped it here for work. I think he's gonna be glad he did... this has all that Guild shimmer and tang to the sound with a nice compressed, clean, and clear overtone sequence. You hear everything the strings do on a body like this.


These are "style 18" specs -- spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck, and rosewood bridge and board.


As I was saying, under that truss rod cover lurks two truss rods. This means neck adjustment is super-easy (you can adjust for twist as well as warp) and the necks are darn stable.

This guitar is also all-original, right down to the bridge pins.


I love the look of the no-dots fretboard.



By adding string ramps I gained a lot of extra back-angle on the saddle which = better, louder tone. I also intonated each string on this saddle so it plays in better tune up the neck.





While these aren't fancy tuners, they work just as well as your average Klusons from the time.







Overall? Such a nice guitar. I may have to keep my eyes out for one. These tempt me!

1 comment:

Miss America said...

Hi,

I recently bought the same guitar (from 1976), and it sounds very good.

Just one question. From the Guild factory, is it bone nut and bridge ?

Thanks for your answer.

Dimitri