12/11/2013

c.1977 Tama TG-80 Dreadnought Guitar


This is the cleanest Tama I've had my hands on. A lot of these get a lot of playwear because... they're simply... good guitars! Japanese-made at the height for export quality (think Daion and nicer Yamaki products, too), these Tamas have looks as well as good, loud, rumbly, punchy bluegrass tone.

I worked on this for a customer and that included a light fret level/dress and setup: the saddle needed a shave and slight intonation and the bridge "string ramps" needed some adjustment.



It's a good-looking guitar with a solid spruce top (x-braced), radiused rosewood fretboard and ebony bridge, and mahogany back and sides. The binding and purfling looks to be wood or fiberloid materials which mix nicely bumped up against the bling of the faux-tortoise pickguard.


Bone nut and saddle, rosewood headstock veneer, and Grover-style Tama-brand tuners.


Snazzy looker, huh? I like the rear "V" to the bridge.





The back of the one-piece mahogany neck has one of those Martin-y diamond "volutes." Though the neck appears to have no truss rod (no access at the soundhole or headstock veneer), it does have a rod with access under the nut of all places!

6 comments:

Mark Miller said...

Those were great guitars, TG-80, 120, 120s. I owned a guitar shop in Portland, Oregon for 24 years and it was a disappointment when that particular series was discontinued, I think it was in the early 80s. Thanks for sharing.

guitz said...

I had a TG 180 sold it and later wished i hadn't. At the time I was building Maton guitars and the Tama was as good as the top line Maton's. Very nice guitar

Anonymous said...

I had a beloved TG 80 that I paid for at the age of 16 after hay baling during a long, very hot summer. I loved that guitar. I remember walking into the music store, and along with a bunch of (to me) too-flashy Washburns, was a spectacular TG, along with a 12 string TAMA that was more ornate. It was new, marked down from $750 AUS to $570 Aus.A lot of money then. I sold it unwisely to an ex-girlfriend who swore that she'd contact me if she ever thought of selling it (she pawned it for $40 instead alas!Soemone wandered into that shop and got themselves a beautiful bargain...). A few years ago I picked up a TK 50 for $200 that looks very similar & does have a great tone, but I'll always miss my first love :)

steven Boulton said...

Hi I never knew the TG-180 existed. Ive purchased a TG-160. Hasn't arrived yet, but going on my Tama TW-09 its got to be worth waiting for. All solid jacaranda!

steven Boulton said...

Tama acoustic guitars are absolutely superb, the build quality and rich piano like sound is to die for! If anybody see's one for sale snap it up, you won't be disappointed!!!!!!

steven Boulton said...

Hi I never knew the TG-180 existed. Ive purchased a TG-160. Hasn't arrived yet, but going on my Tama TW-09 its got to be worth waiting for. All solid jacaranda!