9/09/2011

c.1935 Regal-made A-style Archtop Mandolin




Update 2014: I've updated this entire blog post.

I worked on this mandolin back in 2011 and since then it's been serving its new owner well. Recently he upgraded and so now it's back here for resale. I remember when I first worked on it that it had already had a neck reset (slightly sloppy but serviceable) and there was a back brace missing. I didn't replace the back brace but I did do a fret level/dress, cleaning, maybe a seam repair or something like that, and full setup. While it's been in its new owner's care it's had that missing back brace replaced and it came back to me in perfectly-good order.

This instrument has a press-arched solid spruce top, maple neck, and perhaps birch back/sides. The fretboard is also dyed maple and the bridge is an adjustable rosewood unit. Aside from a tiny hairline crack (stable) from its old pickguard-mounting tiny screw (on the top to the treble side of the fretboard) it's crack free, too. The bracing is ladder-style and as a result this has a gutsy, big, warm sort of sound which is unusual for an arched-top instrument. It's also a bit deeper and wider than other arched-top instruments which contributes to its power.



Ebony nut, original tiny-button tuners.





The original finish is all in pretty good shape, too, with only a bit of usual use-wear throughout.




When the back brace was replaced by a different repairman, he/she reattached the back with a couple of locator pins (note the dots below the neck joint and at the endblock area).



Note the usual weather-check to the finish.




1 comment:

Properzia D. said...

How would this instrument compare with the Samick you describe elsewhere on your website? I have a similar Samick (the tag has disappeared but I'm pretty sure it's the same), am an amateur player and would like to buy another moderate price instrument. (Also I like my Samick)
Thanks.